Spirit Club cheers for athletes

spirit+club

Jaz'Lee Lennox

Eden Byrd (8) and Cailyn Elwell-Stalnaker (8) wear white face paint for the “White Out” theme for Sept. 21 volleyball game against Lakeview.

Liz Noear and Allison Busby

Spirit Club is a student organization where students cheer for the home athletic events. This club was set up by Dawn Travis, Becky McIntyre, and Sarah Dowell. 

Dowell and McIntyre want fun people to join the club that will create a nice atmosphere.  There are rules, though, for those that stay after.

“Students must have good behavior, school attendance full day of event, they must be picked up on time, sit with club the entire time, and have their permission slip signed and turned in on time,” Dowell said. 

Seventh grader Chris Staggs has stayed once for the club.

“I like to participate in fun stuff,” Staggs said. “I like how there’s a theme for sports.” 

Seventh grader Perrine Ny’Aysha  said she stays because it gives her something to do after school. 

Students interested in doing an after school activity, Spirit Club could be an option. It is an easy club where one can cheer for the school, and even get food after school before the event.

“We look for kids that follow directions, have school spirit, get excited, and participate,” McIntyre said. 

Spirit club finished their fall sports support with volleyball and football.  They will be starting this week for winter sports to cheer at wrestling tournaments and basketball games.  See Dowell for more information.