New Overture choir students share their love for singing

Overtures

Cheyenne Chaffee

Students in Long’s second hour Overtures class prepare for their upcoming concert on Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m.

Candace Cox, OTMS Productions I, 7th hour

Overtures is a new class this year. This class has higher expectations, harder music and more musical challenges than normal choir. 

Kaitlin Long has been the choir teacher for the last three years. This year is the first time for Overtures, a year long choir class. To be in this class students had to audition. There ended up being over 70 students in the Overture classes alone. 

“I LOVE having an all year choir class,” Long said. “We can really grow into our talent and music.”

Being in Overtures includes being a leader for choir. Long decided to have choir officers who will help lead everyone and help around the class. Officer positions include president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, librarian, and social media guru. Eighth grader Layla Ford is in Overture’s first hour and is the librarian.

“I love being a choir officer because I get to work on being a helpful leader for all students which will help in the future for sure!” Ford said.

Seventh grader Finn Snowden joined Overtures because his brother was in choir a couple years before him and his brother really liked it. He thought he’d take choir for a whole year instead of only a semester. There are four sections in choir. Soprano, alto, tenor, and bass. Snowden is a tenor. 

“My favorite part of being a tenor is that I can have a lot of range when I’m singing and I’m not just stuck on high or low notes,” Snowden said. 

Currently they are working on the winter concert which is set to happen on Dec. 13. at 6:30 p.m.