Green Dot trains students to be an active bystander

Green+Dot

Jaz'Lee Lennox

Laney Blankenship, Jaylee Smith, and Tyler King present a Green Dot lesson to their 4th hour in Zorn’s classroom.

Isabella Thach, 3rd Hour OTMS Productions I

Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOCSA) continues their partnership to train students on Green Dot, a program that brings awareness about school violence. 

MOCSA Youth Program Specialist Kristen Garcia has been partnering with the school for two years. Garcia described Green Dot as a program that gives students the chance to change the way their school feels through their actions.

“Students have told me about how they got out of toxic relationships because they learned what a healthy relationship looks like, and I’ve heard from others that they feel more comfortable stepping in,” Garcia said.

Trevor Anderson was one of the science teachers that taught Green Dot lessons. He has strong feelings about the actions of those who take advantage of others. 

“The worst feeling so far as a teacher has been recognizing abuse that happens outside of school,” Anderson said. “This feeling of despair should set the foundation of why we should do something when people are being hurt.”

Seventh grader Garrett Christiansen was a part of 45 student leaders that were taught before the rest of the school. They learned how to change the school culture to make it safer for everyone.

“[To handle violence] I would tell a trusted adult; tell people to stop,” Christiansen said.

Eighth grader Avery Shepherd has learned to detect bullying in the school and how to prevent it from happening.

“I think Green Dot Training is important because bullying is a real problem, and we need to overcome that issue,” Shepherd said.

Garcia believes that students have much more power than they realize, and that it’s never too late to become a better person.

“Middle school is hard, and the last thing anybody needs is to feel unsafe at school,” Garcia said.