The Student News Site of Osage Trail Middle School

OTMS Falcon Flyer

OTMS Falcon Flyer

OTMS Falcon Flyer

OTMS Falcon Flyer

Cross country kicks off their first week of meets

Austin Pollock
Jameson Lehane (8) heads toward the finish line in the cross-country meet at Grain Valley.

On Tuesday, September 12 the cross country team had their first race at Stocksdale Park in Liberty. Avery Hallum and Issac Underwood led the boys A team to a third place finish. David Matney, Austin Pollock, and Jayse Rice led the boys B team to a third place finish as well. 

Isaac Underwood is a new athlete that Coach Kelly Rumpel feels like is going to have a great season.

“He’s a seventh grader and has shown great promise, based on what I’ve seen thus far,” Rumpel said.

Although Underwood is a seventh grader, he’s mature and considered a leader. To him, the hardest part of being on the team is not beating himself up if he doesn’t place first or in the top five.

“The easiest thing for me in cross country is probably sportsmanship, I know it sounds like I’m saying that to look good but it literally takes no effort to go by someone during practice and give them a compliment,” Underwood said. “I know because everyone on the team does this, the coaches do this, and everyone else at the meets cheer everyone on.”

Rumpel notes that there are some returning athletes that he feels will be exciting to watch compete this season. Two he mentioned were Emily Winingar and Richard Perz-Romero with their experience from last year.

“I expect them to do well early on,” Rumpel said.

Winingar is one of the two girls on the cross country team.  She says that the team is very supportive of each other.

“I just want to do good for my teammates, coaches, the school, and my family,” Winingar said.

View Comments (1)